Sunday, March 2, 2008

I'm excited, and nervous

I just got my train ticket. That set me back about $500. Putting my current "I haven't left yet and this trip is costing me..." total to $1,500. That gets me there and gets me around. Wonderful. I did buy some quick dry underwear the other day, and a few other things that I don't recall right now.

I just started thinking about the entire thing. I am a fairly routine person. I get up, go to work, eat lunch, go home, have a beer or two (depending on if I go to the bar, or just home), and go to bed. I live in a small town where people are constantly asking me where my ex boyfriend is who I don't see but maybe twice a month. My life is filled with most of the same wonderful people on a daily to weekly basis. There are currently a few older quite ill people in my life, and honestly, that really scares me. I am really going to miss seeing the people I see everyday. Or the people that I know I can always pick up the phone and call. At the same time, I cannot wait to leave. I cannot wait to set my business e-mail to "out of office response." I cannot wait to not hear Zac call and ask a stupid question at 9am on a Saturday (I realize I work all the time, but people, I don't want calls all the time).

On a daily basis I do not have to ever use another language. I don't wash my clothes every night when I brush my teeth. I'm very routine. Europe will not be remotely routine. I do look forward to the vast kinds of coffee I will consume while I'm gone (when did I become such a coffee drinker?!) and the vast amounts of wine. I was just looking at how much to budget, $50 a day. That's fine and dandy, until you think about how much red wine I plan to ship home. Dad should have never given me his FedEx number!!

I am also stoked about getting to spend time with Michelle! I haven't spent quality time with her (more than a few hours) in years! I hope she won't kill me. We are totally opposite, but it is why I love her so much.

I still don't know what kind of pants to pack. I have pretty much decided I won't take a bra, I'll just wear camisoles the entire time (we'll see if this really works out or not). Good news is, Mich got away with carrying on her backpack at RDU. She wasn't sure it would make it on her British Air flight, but we'll see if it did or not. I'm going to try to upgrade my ticket to business class.

I want to go buy a pair of the spiffy shoes Jane was wearing yesterday. I've got to get on top of the shoe thing this week. I also need to download a French podcast or five to brush up on that.

My point of this blog was- I'm a southern girl who lives in a small town. Granted, I am in charge of some pretty big things at work, but this isn't like me. I am excited to pack my two bags and head out of the country. Then again, I am scared to death! I mean, I meet people in Virginia that love my accent. Can't wait to leave the country.

I'm making my list of who has to have what. Let me know what you expect, I'll let you know if you're getting it or not. Haha. The one thing that I have promised to send home, Timmy wants a t-shirt. He could have asked me to send him a camel and I would have tried to do it. That, and post cards to little kids like Lexi, Graysen, and my little cousins Stewart & Melinda. I will send tons of postcards. I don't think I will get my sister anything for her birthday (March 12th, same day as Mich's). I will send her great stuff from each country instead! My cousin's wife needs to hurry up and have that baby!! So I can run to the mountains and kiss it before I go.

No comments: